Virtual Coding for Good Badge Series
Created and hosted by GSOC’s Volunteer STEM Patrol, this virtual 4 week series will allow girls to earn the Coding for Good 3: App Development badge from home and learn how to create their own app.
Virtual Series Schedule
- Sun. May 24 (4pm-5pm)- Series Kick- Off - Zoom Chat
- Mon. May 25- Part 1 YouTube video link shared with participants
- Sun. May 31 (4pm-5pm)- App Office hours: GSOC STEM Patrol (optional if you need help)
- Mon. Jun. 1- Part 2 video released to participants
- Sun. Jun. 7- (4pm-5pm)- App Office hours: GSOC STEM Patrol (optional if you need help)
- Mon. Jun. 8- Part 3 video released to participants
- Sun. Jun. 14- (4pm-5pm)- App Office hours: GSOC STEM Patrol (optional if you need help)
- Mon. Jun. 15- Part 4 video released to participants
- Sat. Jun. 20- (4pm-5pm)- Closing Celebration
Please read prior to signing up
We will be using the Thunkable (https://thunkable.com) app development environment for this event.
Participating girls will need:
a) GMAIL account
b) Computer with internet connectivity
c) Phone or tablet with internet connectivity and with the Thunkable Live application pre-installed. (available for free on the Apple and Google Play app stores)
IMPORTANT: The phone or tablet mentioned above is in addition to a computer. We will be developing our app on the computer, and then "pushing" it down onto our phone or tablet. A single GMAIL account is required to log onto both the Thunkable Live application (on the phone/tablet) as well as the Thunkable development application on the computer.
If girls do not have access to the GMAIL account password, parents should be prepared to help girls log on to the phone/tablet and computer each week.
No previous programming experience is required! Thunkable is very similar to the Scratch educational programming environment which girls may have used before.
Week four's Zoom meeting will be a celebration of our efforts and give the girls a chance to share and talk about their apps!
Special note: Week four's meeting will be on SATURDAY, June 20, which differs from the regular Sunday schedule during the series.